CPOA New Haven

$10.50

The framers of the CPO Constitution drew their constitutional ideal from the U.S. Constitution and adopted the motto Ut Prosimus meaning “That we may be of Service.” There were 29 charter members in March 1933. They organized to “encourage fidelity, integrity to the Service, and better understanding and fellowship, and to advance the best interests of the enlisted personnel of the Coast Guard, especially of those associated as members of this organization, and to extend all possible relief to their widows and children; to foster the cultivation of military discipline and true allegiance to the United States of America….”

Out of stock

SKU: SC2076-web Category: Tags: , ,
Officially Licensed Product of the U.S. Coast Guard

Description

In 1933, the Chief Petty Officers organized themselves into an Association that would make their issues and concerns known to Coast Guard Headquarters. It was an effort of small groups gathered along district lines. They did not initially receive full endorsement by CGHQ. However, the Association went forward anyway and in December 1933, met at the War Memorial Building in Baltimore, Md. This meeting was described as “the most significant of any previous meeting in the affairs of CPO’s and the real corner stone of the organization was laid.” However, the actual establishment date was March 25, 1933, at the Coast Guard Depot at Curtis Bay, Md., which allowed Curtis Bay to lay claim to being the first CPOA Chapter in the Coast Guard.

They organized to “encourage fidelity, integrity to the Service, and better understanding and fellowship, and to advance the best interests of the enlisted personnel of the Coast Guard, especially of those associated as members of this organization, and to extend all possible relief to their widows and children; to foster the cultivation of military discipline and true allegiance to the United States of America….”

The framers of the CPO Constitution drew their constitutional ideal from the U.S. Constitution and adopted the motto Ut Prosimus meaning “That we may be of Service.” There were 29 charter members in March 1933.

The CPOA was re-founded in 1969 after being disbanded during World War II. ADM Willard J. Smith officially recognized the CPOA and signed the Charter on April 7, 1969.

United States Coast Guard Station New Haven belongs to the Long Island Sound sector of operations. Annually the New Haven Coast Guard Station carries out about 150-200 search and rescue operations along with 200-300 boarding and searches of vessels. As well as these active services, Station New Haven gives hourly weather reports for all seafarers in their area. If required the Sound has at its disposal 500 active service members, 200 reservists and 1200 auxiliaries to call upon.

Each year in the month of May Station New Haven hosts an open house day where members of the public are welcome to visit and see displays of equipment used, methods, and an example of a search and rescue mission when a helicopter arrives from Air Station Atlantic City in New Jersey.

Each coin measures 1 3/4 inch (44mm) in diameter.

This is a surplus NWTMint item, packaging may vary.

This is an out of date design and will not be remade after product is sold out.

 

You may also like…