In 2013, U.S. Army Garrison Grafenwoehr was transformed to U.S. Army Garrison Bavaria, a single Garrison. In February 2017, in response to the growing rotational force and training troop presence, U.S. Army Garrison Bavaria established the 5th Community to manage Garrison resources in the Training Camps, deconflict infrastructure and facilities usage, and ensure the efficient operation and integration of Garrison support to deployment, sustainment, and redeployment operations.
The Grafenwoehr Training Area was created following the activation of the III Royal Bavarian Corps in 1900 and in 1908, the training area was officially designated as Training Area Grafenwoehr. After the Nazis took power, the Wehrmacht used the training area for military training and guarded enemy prisoners of war. After WWII, U.S. Army Europe expanded the role and importance of the training area to meet the increased training needs, and it also increased the facilities to support the troops during training. A large buildup of Rose Barracks, Vilseck occurred in the mid 1980s with the construction of facilities to support a brigade size element which is now home to the 2nd Cavalry Regiment.
2001 brought the start of a buildup of Tower Barracks (Formerly East Camp) with new construction, realignment, and renovations to support a Brigade Combat Team (BCT), which was completed in 2012 and now houses two 173rd ABCT Battalions and supports Regionally Aligned Forces (RAF) in support of the European Deterrence Initiative (EDI). With the establishment of the training area, Grafenwoehr and its subdivisions Gmuend, Huetten, and Goeßenreuth lost 2,820 hectare, or two-thirds of its real estate as well as a portion of its back country. Nevertheless, the military caused an immense economic boom in Grafenwoehr. The number of inhabitants doubled between 1909 and 1910 from 961 to 1,841. In 2010, Grafenwoehr had 6,550 inhabitants.
Since 2010, the development of Grafenwoehr with all its highs and lows has been closely connected to the development of the training area. The Water Tower joined the city’s original landmark, the gothic town hall built in 1462. It is the largest NATO training facility in Europe today, providing vast ranges, simulation centers, classrooms and facilities for realistic and relevant training to U.S. Army, Joint Service, NATO and allied units and leaders.
Minted in bronze and given antique finish, this keychain is imbued with bold colorful enamel on both sides.
Each keychain measures 1 1/2 inch (39mm) in diameter.
This is a surplus NWTM item. Packaging may vary.